How to make harvest salad
By Nicole Barragan, Transplant DietitianNutrition plays an important role in the pre- and post-transplant phases. After surgery, the initial focus is on nutrition for healing. As time goes on, the focus shifts to maintaining good nutrition status, as well as preventing food-borne illness and excessive weight gain.Your dietitian is a great resource when you have questions about your child’s nutrition. These tips below are also very helpful:
- Be mindful of portion sizes and use MyPlate as your guide. Visit www.ChooseMyPlate.gov for helpful resources.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables: see below for a great tasting, healthy recipe!
- Choose lean protein sources (95% fat-free or leaner) and low-fat dairy. When cooking lean protein foods, try baking, broiling, grilling, barbecuing or steaming, instead of frying.
- Try whole grains like brown rice, popcorn and whole wheat bread.
Remember, every person has different nutrition needs after a transplant. Your dietitian will work with you in the hospital and in clinic to provide recommendations, help you plan menus, teach you more about nutrition and answer questions.
Harvest Salad Recipe
- 4 cups of Romaine lettuce/spinach
- 2 apples (green or red) or pears or 1 ½ cup strawberries
- orange or lemon juice
- ½ cup dried cranberries or raisins
- ½ cup pecans or pistachios or walnuts (optional)
- 3 oz. grilled chicken (optional); cook to internal temperature of 165° F
- Wash lettuce well and then dry.
- Wash and cut apples into slices or chunks. Coat apples with orange or lemon juice.
- Mix salad greens with apples, cranberries and other ingredients (optional).
- Dress salad with small amount (about 2 Tbsp/2 cups of salad) of preferred dressing. Balsamic vinaigrette goes well with this salad!
Note: This salad typically contains blue cheese, but blue cheese or any “soft cheese” may not be pasteurized and is therefore not allowed for those who have received a solid organ transplant. Always check if cheese is pasteurized before eating, or try hard, processed cheddar cheese with this salad.